The old school playground favorite. It's basically softball played with a playground ball.
Active. A lot of movement may be required.
10 to 20 players
What You Need To Play
Teams usually consist of 8 or 10 players but can be as few as 4 or 5 for informal games. Games usually take place on standard softball fields with home plate and three bases.
There are 5 innings per game in standard kickball rules. Sometimes teams play 7 innings. All player get up to bat each inning. Innings and half-innings end when
1. The last player on a side gets out
2. Home plate is touched by a player holding the ball. No tagging is required.
Players can get out by the following methods:
1. Defense catches a pop fly
2. In a forced runner situation, defense throws the ball to and touches a base before a runner reaches the base
3. In a non-forced runner situation, defense tags the runner before reaching the base
4. The ball is thrown directly at the runner and hits them below the waist.
5. Leading off and stealing bases is not allowed and results in an out.
6. Runners who leave their bases before a ball reaches home plate or is kicked are out.
7. Kickers also get out by missing a kick attempt (see below).
Pitches and Kicking
Pitchers roll the ball to home plate from the pitchers mound. Kickers cannot kick the ball until it is within 3 feet of homeplate. If the kicker does not like the pitch, he/she should not attempt to kick it, and another pitch will be thrown. There are no strikeouts or walks. A kicker gets only one attempt at kicking the ball. A missed attempt or a foul ball is an out. Bunting is not permitted and results in an out.
In order to prevent injury and protect any defensive player attempting to make a play on a base runner, the base runner must be called out, if he/she remains on his/her feet, and deliberately, with great force crashes into a defensive player holding the ball, waiting to apply a tag. If the act is determined to be flagrant, the offender shall also be ejected.