Each player has up to three chances to roll the five dice. A player can stop at any time and does not have to roll three times. The object of each roll is to score the best combinations of five dice from the following categories:
1. As many ones as possible
2. As many twos as possible
3. As many threes as possible
4. As many fours as possible
5. As many fives as possible
6. As many sixes as possible
7. Three of a kind
8. Four of a kind
9. Full house (2 of one kind, 3 of another)
10. Small straight (4 consecutive numbers)
11. Large straight (5 consecutive numbers)
12. Lucky Dice (5 of a kind).
13. Freebie (total of all dice)
After the first roll, a player either stops and totals his/her dice or sets aside the dice they want to keep and selects those dice they want to roll again. After the second roll, the player either stops or again sets aside the dice they want to keep and rolls again. Finally after the third roll the player must stop and total his/her dice and mark it on the score card. Once a category is used and a score has been assigned, the category is closed for good and can't be used any more. The goal of the game is not just to fill all the boxes for each combination, but also to rack up as many points as possible.
The game ends when each player has had 13 opportunities to roll and filled in a score on each line item. The scores are them totaled and the winner determined.
Here are the scoring values:
1. As many ones as possible - number of dice rolled a one x 1
2. As many twos as possible - number of dice rolled a two x 2
3. As many threes as possible - number of dice rolled a three x 3
4. As many fours as possible - number of dice rolled a four x 4
5. As many fives as possible - number of dice rolled a five x 5
6. As many sixes as possible - number of dice rolled a six x 6
7. Three of a kind - 25 points
8. Four of a kind - 30 points
9. Full house (2 of one kind, 3 of another) - 25 points
10. Small straight (4 consecutive numbers) - 30 points
11. Large straight (5 consecutive numbers) - 40 points
12. Lucky Dice (5 of a kind). - 50 points
13. Freebie - total of all dice
For the "three of a kind, straight, small straight, full house, four of a kind, and lucky dice, the number of points scored is set. For maximizing a given number, the player totals the dices of that number. For example, if I want to roll as many fives as possible and after my third roll I have rolled 3 fives, my score would be 15 (5 x 3 dice). For the freebie, the score is the total of all dice.